Here are thirteen interesting things to do while
vacationing in Sea Isle City that are within a 30 to 40 minute drive.
Scroll down further for "Things To Do When It Rains At The Shore"
1. Cape May County Zoo and County Park.
Cape May Courthouse, Exit 11 off the Garden State Parkway
2. Visit the Wetlands Institute on Stone Harbor Boulevard.
Between Stone Harbor & the Garden State Parkway.
3. Take a ride on the Cape May Lewes Ferry & shop the outlet malls in Delaware.
Follow Garden State Parkway South to the end and follow the signs.
4. Walk the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk or the Wildwood boardwalk (shops, amusement rides, and water parks on both boardwalks).
5. Walk the 96th Street Shopping mall in Stone Harbor.
6. Take the kids to Storybook Land, Black Horse Pike (Route 40), Cardiff.
7. Take a trolley tour of historic Cape May.
8. Take a Beachcomber tour Tuesday or Thursday on the Sea Isle City 29th Street beach.
9. Visit historic Cold Spring Village, 720 Route 9, Cold Spring.
10. Take a whale watching boat tour in Cape May.
11. Visit the Atlantic City Aquarium.
12. Visit the shops in Smithville, NJ.
13. Visit the water parks in Wildwood, NJ - Morey's Pier
An occasional rainy day can be a good break in the usual beach routine for parents and kids if they know where to go and what to do. Although a hot and dry summer is expected, "into each life some rain must fall," so here are some suggestions:
1. Be prepared - consider bringing light rain gear.
2. Pack games or toys that may help pass time during a cloudburst.
3. Buy a book.
4. Send a postcard.
5. Take a walk on the Promenade, visit arcades, shops and eating spots.
6. Sample the restaurants: appetizers, soup or salad at one restaurant and then the entree at another. Then have dessert at yet another. Be adventurous and explore three in one day. Go to visit and form an opinion of each eatery.
7. "Park yourslef at the Cape May County Zoo." The Zoo is free and it features an African Savanna, the Safari Cafe and the Ark in the Park, a Souvenir Gift Shop. 609-465-5271.
8. Make it a point to know what is going on at both of the Cape May Bird Observatories. Where folks from Europe, Central America, South America and South Pacific come to witness the migratory birds in hot spots. 609-884-2786 and 609-861-0700.
9. Land your crew at the Naval Aviation Museum. Featured are vintage aircraft, engines, exhibits, military memorabilia, even an "A Bomb" and more in an actual World War II hanger which is listed on the National Register of Historical places. 609-886-8787.
10. Take a guided or self-guided tour of Historic Hereford Inlet Lighthouse and Gardens (North Wildwood). A National Historic landmark constructed in 1874. See what life was like for a lighthouse keeper in the 19th Century. Perhaps you'll want to revisit to enjoy the Victorian style park, and award winning gardens. 609-572-4520
11. While we're at it, see the Cape May Lighthouse (Cape May) just 199 steps to the top and you'll enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean and Delaware Bay.
12. Only steps away, you'll see the logic of the construction of the concrete ship the USS Atlantus (Cape May Point), as you see the sunken ship's remains.
13. Take a trip through time at the Sea Isle City Historical Museum (in Sea Isle City on Landis Ave between 42nd & 43rd Streets). Have a history contest, give a prize to those who can find answers to a list of questions to research at the museum. 609-263-2992.
14. How about the Cape May County Historical Museum and Genealogical Society. Period and theme rooms in the Historical House and Barn. See medical, military, Victorian, toy, maritime, tools and native American displays. 609-465-3535.
15. Take a step back in time by visiting Historic Cold Spring Village, a 19th Century open air living history museum. 609-898-2300.
16. Ride the Seashore Line from Cold Spring Village to Tuckahoe. 609-465-5271.
17. See the salt marsh exhibit at the Wetlands Institute from the observation tower. See the aquarium, please touch tanl, live TV Osprey family and kids classes. 609-368-1211.
18. Plan to have lunch or high tea when you step back in an era of elegance while touring the Emlen Physick Estate, the only Victorian house museum in Cape May. 609-884-5404.
19. Browse through books, magazines, videos and newspapers at the Sea Isle City Public Library (Central Ave & 48th Street - Sea Isle), where you can also use their computers and get online. 609-263-8485.
20. Watch the Cape May Lewes Ferry dock and load and unload cars. Visit their passenger terminal. 609-886-9699.
21. Feel lucky? Try the Casinos in Atlantic City. 609-348-7100.
22. Enjoy an Art Gallery.
23. Make an appointment at a Spa.
24. Get a relaxing massage.
25. Enjoy some ice cream.
26. Buy a memento to remind you of your vacation at the shore. Sea Isle has many retail shops for convenience.
27. How about a movie?
28. How about renting a video?
29. Don't forget the fudge and candy shops.